Please make sure to save your original pictures beforehand.
The modification of original images is always associated with a certain residual risk!!!
SORT BY DATE
SortByDate is a software tool for automatically changing the exif tag DateTimeOriginal and
for renaming image files:
- SortByDate reads the exif tag DateTimeOriginal and inserts date and time unsing the format
yyyy.mm.dd_hh.mm.ss (year.month.day_hour.minute.second) at the beginning of the filename.
Example: The original filename P1040289.jpg will be changed to the
the new file name 2017.08.18_23.59.12_P1040289.jpg.
- Either the original images will be renamed or they will be copied with the new name
to a subfolder ~\SortByDate.
- Any time offset can be either added (radio box 'Add') or subtracted (radio box 'Sub') to the exif date:
Y: Year [0:99], M: Month [0:11], D: Day [0:30],
H: Hour [0:23], M: Minute [0:59], S: Second [0:59].
- Apart from the exif tag DateTimeOriginal there are two more tags
ModifyDate and CreateDate. These two tags are not used by SortByDate.
- Only image formats *.jpg, *.jpeg, *.mpo, *.arw, *.cr2, *.dng, *.tif or *.tiff are supported.
Download link: SortByDate.zip.
- Copy to Subdirectory, Correct Exif not checked: The exif times remain in
the original images and in the copied images. The time offset is only used in the
file names of the copied images.
- Copy to Subdirectory, Correct Exif checked: The exif times remain in
the original images. In the copied images a new exif time is calculated according to the time offset.
(In the file names of the copied images the time offset is of course also taken into account.)
- Just rename, Correct Exif not checked: The original images are renamed according to the time offset,
the exif tags remain unchanged.
- Just rename, Correct Exif checked: The origonal images are renamed according to the time offset and
the exif tags will be overwritten.
- If the radio box Inc is checked, the exif time is overwritten with a completely new value.
- The time fields of the first time row of the GUI correspond to the new exif time of the first image in the directory.
- For each additional image the time from the second row is added consecutively.
Before you start the process with the Go
button there are the following test options:
- With the marking of the Test checkbox, the exif time of the first image in the directory is read
and written into the fields OldDateTime.
- Now enter a time difference at Add or Sub. After pressing the Calc button
the new time is displayed in the NewDateTime fields.
- The new name of the file under test can be checked at the bottom of the massage window.
- When overwriting the exif time with a completely new value (see incremental times) this test makes
no sense of course and is therefore deactivated.
- 22.10.2018: This English manual has been added.
- 16.10.2018: Because the calculations of time differences are very error-prone,
some test possibilities have been added.
- 16.10.2018: Raw image formats ARW, CR2 and DNG added.
- 28.03.2018: New operation mode "Inc": The exif time can be set explicitly.
A freely selectable time increment is added to each image.